People helping people triumph over poverty, abuse and neglect to shape strong futures for themselves, their families and communities!
CommonHelp - Helping Those In Need
Apply for help with food, child care, heating and cooling bills, health care and cash assistance online at https://commonhelp.virginia.gov or visit this agency in-person. Please scroll down for more information about benefits and services we offer.
Please go to http://www.dss.virginia.gov/geninfo/jobs.cgi
Whether you need help or want to provide help, 2-1-1 is the fast, FREE and confidential way to locate services in our community. Please feel free to dial 211 from a phone to speak with a representative. The Service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Benefit Programs and Other Assistance
- Disaster Assistance
- Earned Income Tax Credit
- Emergency Food Pantry (substenance provided at DSS to customers in need of food) Please call (434) 246-1083 for assistance
- Energy Assistance
- General Relief
- Medical Assistance Programs
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) - Food Stamps
- Temporary Cash Assistance
- Auxiliary Grants (AG)
- Adult Services
- Child Care Assistance
- Foster Care and Adoption
- Foster Care Preventive Services
- Family Support Program
- Transportation for Medical Appointments (persons aged 60 and over or persons with a disability). Please call (434)246-1083 for inquiries.
- Virginia Initiative for Employment not Welfare (VIEW) program
IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW IS IN IMMEDIATE DANGER, CALL 911.
- Child Protective Services: (800)552-7096
- Adult Protective Services: (888)832-3858
- Family Violence & Sexual Assault: (800)838-8238
Report Child Abuse/Neglect to Child Protective Services (CPS): (800)552-7096
- The Virginia Department of Social Services operates a CPS Hotline 24/7 to support local departments of social services by recieving reports of child abuse and neglect and referring them to the appropriate local department of social services. The CPS Hotline is staffed by trained Protective Services Hotline Specialists.
Report Adult Abuse to Adult Protective Services (APS): (888)832-3858
- To report suspected financial exploitation or other kinds of abuse to the elderly or adults with a disability, call your local department of social services or the Virginia Department of Social Services' 24-hour, toll-free APS hotline at: (888)832-3858. APS investigates reports of abuse, neglect, and exploitation of adults aged 60 and over and incapacitated adults over 18 years of age and provides services when persons are found to be in need of protective services.
Report Family Violence & Sexual Assault (800)838-8238
In accordance with the Federal law and the U.S. Department of Agriculture policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political beliefs, or disability.
To file a complaint of discrimination, write to: USDA, Director, Office of Adjudication and Compliance, 1400 Independence Avenue SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TTY). The USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.