Sussex County Planning Commission: Ordinance Amendment #2016-01, Ordinance Amendment #2016-02
Notice is hereby given that the Sussex County Planning Commission will hold a public hearing on Monday, February 8, 2016 at 6:00 p.m. in the General District Courtroom, Sussex Judicial Center.
Ordinance Amendment #2016-01:
An Ordinance amending and reenacting Article XXII (Floodplain Overlay District, F-1) of the Zoning Ordinance of Sussex County, Virginia by establishing floodplain districts, by requiring the issuance of permits for development, and by providing factors and conditions for variances to the terms of the floodplain regulations.
Ordinance Amendment #2016-02:
An ordinance amending, reenacting and recodifying the Sussex County Subdivision Ordinance (currently Chapter 13 of the Sussex County Code) and Zoning Ordinance (currently Chapter 16 of the Sussex County Code). Amendments to the Subdivision Ordinance include (1) technical changes that correct previously made typographical and grammatical errors, and (2) a revised provision that authorizes the Board of Supervisors to establish fees for review of plats by resolution.
Amendments to the Zoning Ordinance include (1) technical changes that correct previously made typographical and grammatical errors, (2) corrected internal citations and references, and (3) substantive amendments to conform certain sections to changes in state law. Substantive changes to the Zoning Ordinance include the following:
- Conforming the definition of “group home” to that at § 15.2-2291 of the Code of Virginia and conforming the definition and use of the term “variance” to comport with Chapter 597 of the 2015 Acts of Assembly.
- Conforming the enabling purposes of the Zoning Ordinance to those set forth in § 15.2-2283 of the Code of Virginia.
- Conforming the procedures for amending the Zoning Ordinance to the provisions set forth in § 15.2-2204 of the Code of Virginia.
- Conforming the provisions for violations and penalties associated with enforcement of the Zoning Ordinance to those set forth in § 15.2-2286(A)(5) of the Code of Virginia.
- Violations shall be punishable as a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $10 nor more than $1,000. The court may order the violator to abate or remedy by violation. Failure to remove or abate the violation is punishable as a separate misdemeanor with additional monetary penalties ranging from $10 to $7,500 for each 10-day period following conviction the violation is not remedied.
- Conforms the provisions pertaining to landowners’ vested rights after a residential or commercial building has been damaged or destroyed by a natural disaster or other act of God to those found at § 15.2-2307 of the Code of Virginia.
- Conforms the provisions governing the powers and duties of the Board of Zoning Appeals (“BZA”), appeals to the BZA, and appeals of BZA decisions to those found at §§ 15.2-2309, -2311 and -2314 of the Code of Virginia.
- Revises the sections pertaining to Conditional Zoning to conform with § 15.2-2298 of the Code of Virginia, which governs the types of voluntary proffers and other conditions that may be adopted in connection with a rezoning or amendment to the zoning map.
All persons desiring to comment on the proposed amendments should be present at the above stated time and place. Anyone needing assistance or accommodation under the provisions of the American Disabilities Act should call the County Administrator’s Office at 434-246-1000. Copies of the proposed ordinances are available for review in the Community Development Office during regular business hours Monday thru Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Click here for the Notice of Public Hearing >