Open the Alert Ticker
Social Services Department
Social Services Department

  ATTENTION: As of June 1, 2020 the Sussex Department of Social Services will be seeing clients by appointments only. 

If an appointment or assistance is needed, please call (434) 246-1083 Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

You may drop all completed applications and documents in the drop box located in front of the building. Blank applications and instructions for applying are located to your left of the drop box near the entrance. Items dropped off are retrieved daily for processing.

Benefit Program Services

If you are applying for benefit program services, you may do so using one of the following methods:

You may also call the office and an application will be mailed to you.

If you need to report adult or child abuse or neglect, during normal business hours, please call (434) 246-1083 (8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.).

After hours and on weekends please call:

Thank you for your cooperation.


Our Mission

People helping people triumph over poverty, abuse and neglect to shape strong futures for themselves, their families and communities!

CommonHelp - Helping Those In Need

Apply for help with food, child care, heating and cooling bills, health care and cash assistance online at or visit this agency in-person. Please scroll down for more information about benefits and services we offer.


Please visit the VDSS Careers website.

Community Support

Whether you need help or want to provide help, 2-1-1 is the fast, FREE and confidential way to locate services in our community.

Please feel free to dial 211 from a phone to speak with a representative. The Service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Benefit Programs and Other Assistance

 Family Services

Protective Services


Emergency Hotlines:

Report Child Abuse/Neglect to Child Protective Services (CPS): (800) 552-7096

The Virginia Department of Social Services operates a CPS Hotline 24/7 to support local departments of social services by recieving reports of child abuse and neglect and referring them to the appropriate local department of social services. The CPS Hotline is staffed by trained Protective Services Hotline Specialists.

Report Adult Abuse to Adult Protective Services (APS): (888) 832-3858

To report suspected financial exploitation or other kinds of abuse to the elderly or adults with a disability, call your local department of social services or the Virginia Department of Social Services' 24-hour, toll-free APS hotline at: (888) 832-3858. APS investigates reports of abuse, neglect, and exploitation of adults aged 60 and over and incapacitated adults over 18 years of age and provides services when persons are found to be in need of protective services.

Report Family Violence & Sexual Assault (800) 838-8238

 In accordance with the Federal law and the U.S. Department of Agriculture policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political beliefs, or disability.

To file a complaint of discrimination, write to: USDA, Director, Office of Adjudication and Compliance, 1400 Independence Avenue SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TTY). The USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Home » Departments » County Departments » Social Services Department