Posted: May 5, 2020
Assistant Commonwealth Attorney
Department: Sussex County Commonwealth’s Attorney Office
Employment Status: Regular, Full Time, Non-Exempt
Salary: Negotiable based on experience
Start date: IMMEDIATE OPENING
The purpose of this position is to assist the office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney in the prosecution of criminal cases for Sussex County.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Assist the Commonwealth’s Attorney in prosecuting criminal defendants
- Present witnesses, objects, photographs and other evidence of crimes by accused persons in court;
- Interview investigators, victims and other witnesses to criminal activity;
- Obtain indictments of accused criminals or formal charges from grand juries;
- Prepare and present legal briefs;
- Review body camera video, jail calls and all other electronic and social media information;
- Prepare indictment forms, motions, proposed jury instructions, notices and other court documents;
- Prepare and respond to discovery orders;
- Make, receive and evaluate plea offers;
- Assist or oversee detectives, investigators, and other law enforcement in gathering evidence;
- Prepare and present witnesses for trial
- Explain process and reason for certain decisions to victims or their family members.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Candidates need skills in interpreting statutes and rules, applying criminal law to facts and determining the significance of testimony or other items of evidence. The analysis also consists of assessing the credibility of witnesses based on factors such as bias or inconsistency in statements. Possess critical thinking and problem-solving skills and abilities. Eligible candidates must possess 3- 5 years of trial litigation experience. Must possess professional ethics, persuasive and organizational skills and abilities.
Must be licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Virginia and be in good standing with the Virginia State Bar. Please send resume and certificate of good standing to firstname.lastname@example.org
Resumes must be submitted prior to closing date of May 15, 2020.
Victim/Witness Assistance Program Director
- Employment Status:
- Regular, Full Time, Non-Exempt
- Salary Range:
- $52,297.00 - $67,675.00
Vincent L. Robertson, Sr.
Physical Address :
13080 Thornton Square
Sussex, Virginia 23884
Post Office Box 1347
Sussex, Virginia 23884
Office Hours :
9:00A.M.to 5:00P.M. M-F