[NEW as of 8/2/23 until filled]
Victim Witness Director
Department: Commonwealth's Attorney’s Office
Opening: August 2, 2022
Deadline: Open Until Filled
Salary Range: $52,297.00 - $67,675.00 (excellent health & retirement benefits)
The Victim Witness Director performs crisis intervention, advocacy and case management duties for victims of crime. The position is supervised and housed in the Sussex Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office. The Director works closely with law enforcement agencies, court personnel, state agencies and other human service delivery organizations. This position provides criminal justice processes and victims’ rights information; sends out correspondence to victims at various stages of the criminal justice process; assists victims with filing claims with the State’s Criminal Injuries Compensation Fund; assists victims with the submission of Victim Impact Statements and the development of Restitution Plans.
- Maintaining a variety of records and files pertaining to assigned cases and preparing reports with the State, County and Office. Exercising independent judgment, discretion and initiative in ensuring the proper services are delivered to victims and the general public. Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with agencies, the general public and the court.
- Understanding the criminal justice system, court processes & procedures, court filings & dockets, and basic administration of justice. Understanding of the Protective Order Process and how to complete the necessary paperwork in assisting victims with filings and the actual hearings.
- Knowledge of the Crime Victim and Witness Rights Act, Virginia Victims Fund & grant program with the State. Knowledge of accounting, finance and bookkeeping related to a budget & expenditures.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, oral & written communication, standard office equipment, office policies & procedures, and working with sensitive & confidential information.
- High school graduate or GED equivalent with 3 years or more experience; Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in social work, criminal justice or a related human services environment is a plus; or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and able to pass a criminal background check. Fingerprint submission required.
- Please send cover letter, resume & references (minimum 3) to: email@example.com. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. A Virginia Employment Application will be requested upon an interview. (https://dls.virginia.gov/stateapp.docx - a fillable pdf is available).
The County of Sussex is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
15080 Courthouse Road
Sussex, VA 23884
20209 Thornton Square
P. O. Box 1389
Sussex, Virginia 23884
9:00A.M. to 5:00P.M M-F