Treasurer FAQ
  • When are county taxes due?

    • December 5th annually or the following Monday if the 5th falls on a weekend.

  • What are the tax rates in Sussex County?

    • Real Estate   $0.48 per $100 assessed value
      Personal Property   $4.85 per $100 assessed value
      Merchants Capital   $1.00 per $100 assessed value
      Machinery & Tools   $2.43 per $100 assessed value
      Mobile Home   $0.48 per $100 assessed value
      Vehicle License Tax    $25.00 each vehicle
      Vehicle License Tax   $15.00 each motorcycle
  • Is there a tax relief program for the elderly or disabled?

    • Yes.  Please contact the Commissioner of Revenue for additional information.

  • What payment options are available for paying taxes?

    • Payments may be made by cash, check, money order or credit/debit card at the office anytime during the year. Payments may also be made at any of the following banks prior to the deadline of December 5 th:

      • BSV, Bank of Southside Virginia – Jarratt, Va., Stony Creek, Va., and Wakefield, Va.
      • Trust – Wakefield, Va.
      • Primis – Waverly, Va
  • Do you accept credit and debit cards?

    • Yes, we accept credit and debit cards in the office anytime during the year. For security purposes, card must be presented at the time of making payments. There is an administrative fee on all credit or debit card transactions.

  • How do I make out my check?

    • Check should be made payable to Treasurer of Sussex County. You may combine personal property and real estate tax payments on one check

  • Do you accept postmark for tax payments?

    • Yes, tax payments postmarked by the deadline are considered timely.

  • Where do I send estimated income tax payments?

    • Individuals making estimated payments should send their first payment and voucher 1 to the Commissioner of Revenue by May 1st of each year to be assessed. Estimated payments 2, 3, and 4 should be mailed to the Treasurer of Sussex County. All checks should be made payable to the Treasurer of Sussex County.

  • My mortgage company is supposed to pay the taxes on my real estate, why did I get a bill?

    • Mortgage companies are responsible for requesting your bill to be sent to them annually if you have an escrow account. If you have received a bill you should promptly contact your mortgage company and forward the bill to them.

  • What is personal property tax relief?

    • Personal property tax relief is a benefit to the taxpayer given by the Commonwealth of Virginia through the Tax Relief Act of 1998. This provides tax relief for vehicles and motorcycles having a registered gross weight of  less than 7,501 pounds. The vehicle must be owned or leased by an individual and used 50% or more for personal use. Each year Sussex County is required to recalculate the tax relief percentage based on the state cap and the growth or reduction in the number value of vehicles located in the county. For qualified vehicles, your tax bill is reduced by the applicable tax relief percentage for the tax year on the first $20,000 of value. If your qualifying vehicles assessed value is $1,000 or less, your tax has been eliminated and the Commonwealth’s share is 100%. You are required to certify annually to Sussex County Commissioner of the Revenue that your vehicle remains qualified to receive car tax relief. If you can answer YES to any of the following questions your vehicle is to be considered to have ‘business usage’ and will not be qualified for the relief…

      1. Is more than 50% of the mileage for the year used as a business expense for Federal Income tax purposes
      2. or reimbursed by your employer?
      3. Is more than 50% of the depreciation associated with the vehicle deducted as a business expense for Federal Income Tax purposes?
      4. Is the cost of the vehicle pursuant to section 179 of the Internal Revenue Service code?
      5. Is the vehicle leased and is the leasing company responsible for paying the taxes without reimbursement from the individual?
  • Do I still need to purchase a County Sticker?

    • No, county stickers are no longer on sale or required in Sussex County. A $25.00 vehicle license tax is included on your tax bill for each vehicle ($15.00 for motorcycle) that is registered and taxed in Sussex County as of January 1 st of each year. No refund or additional vehicle license tax will be made for vehicles sold, traded, junked, moved, or purchased after January 1st of each tax year.

  • What collection methods do we use for collecting delinquent taxes?

    • Sussex County uses a variety of collections methods allowed under Virginia Code. After February 5 th of each year, anyone who is delinquent and not under a valid payment plan, will be subject to one or all of the following collection actions: We place a DMV stop which blocks transactions with the Department of Motor Vehicles for all unpaid personal property taxes and vehicle license fees. Tax liens are filed on wages, bank accounts, rent or on any other asset or debt due to taxpayer. Property may be levied upon and sold at public auction. Real estate is sold under the Judicial Sale pursuant to the Code of Virginia through the Courts with all expenses paid by the taxpayer. Any other collection procedures authorized under the Code of Virginia.

  • Could my land or house be sold for taxes?

    • Yes, your Real Estate Property can be sold for delinquent taxes when delinquent for three years or more. Real estate is sold under the Judicial Sale “Bill in Equity” code section through the Circuit Court. This is a very expensive process and all costs are borne by the delinquent taxpayer or proceeds of the sale. The Judicial Sale process requires extensive notification of the owners, lien holders, and legal publications

Home » County Officials » Treasurer » Treasurer FAQ